Satellite Artist Residency
In collaboration with The Mothership Project, we are thrilled to offer Satellite, an artist residency for Autumn, 2018 designed specifically for parenting artists in Ireland. As part of this work, The Mothership Project will conduct research into the experience of parenting artists in Ireland that will be used to produce a publication that highlights their needs. To help us advocate for parenting artist in Ireland please fill out our survey here.
Satellite is funded by The Arts Council and Wexford County Council Arts Office and is supported by Visual, Carlow and Wexford Arts Centre.
- Dates 21st October 2018 – 2nd December 2018
- A minimum of 10 artists will be selected.
- Maximum 2 weeks to a minimum of 2 days stay.
- Deadline for applications: 29th of April at 12 midnight.
Applications submitted after this time will not be accepted.
- Applications are only accepted via email to email@example.com.
- ‘Satellite’ applications will be reviewed and selected by an independent panel.
- Notifications to all applicants will be made via email. (See details below)
- Successful applicants will be contacted within 2 months of the deadline.
About The Mothership:
The Mothership Project is a network of parenting artists in Ireland. The Mothership Project aims to support parenting artists in the development of their practice and to encourage arts organisations to make the art world a more inclusive place for artists with children. Since 2013 The Mothership has hosted workshops and discussions on issues facing parenting artists in Ireland. We have also hosted show & tell events and reading groups around the theoretical underpinnings of this equality and solidarity based project.
About the residency:
The Satellite residency programme is designed specifically for parenting artists in Ireland. Through an open call, parenting artists will be offered time and space at Cow House Studios in Wexford. Artists will be awarded the opportunity to develop new work, progress existing work, or get back to practice after taking time out to have children. ‘Satellite’ will offer childcare, accommodation, a stipend and a variety of time slots to artists who wish to take time out to focus on their practice. We will tailor the residency to the needs of the artist and their family, however, each residency will be offered as one block of time and cannot be divided into multiple shorter stays.
Artists selected for the residency will be invited to present on their art practice in a public forum and conduct an interview that will be podcast on The Mothership Project and other platforms as part of the ancillary events of Satellite. The residency is also an opportunity for The Mothership Project to gather information from the participating artists on their experience of being a parenting artist in Ireland. The information gathered will be used as part of the final publication of research as part of the Satellite project.
The Satellite Residency is open to Irish parenting contemporary visual artists or artists living and working in Ireland (you must have been living in Ireland for at least 1 year prior to your application). A variety of visual art disciplines are eligible to apply including, but not limited to, traditional media, media/new genre, performance, film/video, socially engaged practices. Artists enrolled in an academic program during the time of the residency are ineligible to apply. Please note applicants should demonstrate a working history in the visual arts.
How to Apply
Please send us:
- Answers to the 7 questions below
- A CV (4 pages maximum)
- Up to 8 Images that support your application. Please label your images and give the selection panel additional information/context (maximum 100 words per image).
- For videos/films/audio, please provide links to your own website, Vimeo page, YouTube page, etc. Do not attach actual video files.
Please send your information as one PDF* with your name as the file title, e.g.
Email applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please title your email – Satellite application and [your name]
(*You can use Adobe Acrobat to create one pdf file or here is a link to a free pdf merge website https://www.pdfmerge.com/)
- Tell us about your work and some specific examples (max 300 words).
- What is it that motivates you and your work? (max 150 words).
- Why do you want to do the Satellite residency? What would you plan to do on the residency? (max 200 words).
- What difference will this make to your practice (max 100 words).
- How did you hear about the Mothership Project and this call for proposals (max 20 words).
- Are you coming
- Solo with kids (How many and ages)
- With children and partner
7. Where do you see your practice currently
- Active practice with a need for time
- Lapsed practice – seeking to find ways back in
- Newly parenting – practice in transition
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about your application.