Most of our time is spent on the O’Gorman family farm and its surrounding area, indulging in the time and space to research and make art. This intensive studio time is complemented by trips to Dublin, the West of Ireland, and our own Southeast region.
During our trips to Ireland’s capital, we will focus on contemporary art and Ireland’s rich culture, giving shape and context to current art practices. We will visit traditional art museums as well as art galleries. There will be a particular focus on projects established by creative practitioners. These exciting endeavors harness the strengths and knowledge of their creators, providing crucial platforms for artists to show their work. We will also visit institutions that house significant historical artifacts giving context to Ireland’s current cultural landscape.
A sample of places we visit in Dublin:
- The Library Project
- Oonagh Young Gallery
- Irish Museum of Modern Art
- Hugh Lane Art Gallery
- Mother’s Tank Station Gallery
- Temple Bar Gallery & Studios
- The Douglas Hyde Gallery
- The National Museum of Ireland
- Douglas Hyde Gallery in Trinity College
During our extended trips to the West of Ireland, we will focus on the landscape. In particular, how it has shaped and been shaped by the Irish people over thousands of years. We will visit ancient Celtic monuments built over 3000 years ago, early Christian sites and soak up the natural beauty from the bogs to beaches and soaring cliffs.
A sample of places we visit in The West:
- The Burren: unique natural limestone landscape dotted with many ancient Celtic structures
- Cliffs of Moher: one of Ireland’s most famous spots of natural beauty
- Aran Islands: ride bikes across the big island (Inis Mor) which is 6 miles long
- Dun Aonghus: an ancient stone ring fort on the top of a cliff
- Cape Clear Island: an island with a population of 100 people, where we kayak and hike to see stunning views.
- Three Castle Head: we hike to Ireland’s most southerly point to see magical Dunlough Castle.
Local Day Trips
We will visit art spaces in neighboring regions during our local day trips, showing diverse and resourceful responses to the challenges of establishing and maintaining an art space. There will also be time for a spot of shopping.
A sample of places we visit locally:
- Wexford Arts Centre, Wexford
- Blue Egg Gallery, Wexford
- Workhouse Union, Callan
- Fennellys, Callan
- Grennan Mill Craft School, Thomastown
- Carlow Visual, Carlow
- Butler Gallery, Kilkenny
- Tintern Abbey, Wexford
- Clonegal Castle, Carlow
- Cushendale Mills, Graiguenamanagh