Most of our time is spent on the farm and in the surrounding area, indulging in the time and space to research and make art. This intensive studio time is complemented by trips; to Dublin, the West of Ireland and another in the Southeast region.
During our trips to Ireland’s capital, we will focus on contemporary art as well as Ireland’s rich culture, giving shape and context to current art practices. We will visit traditional art museums as well as art galleries established by creative practitioners whose visions allowed for models which harnessed their own strengths and knowledge while giving a platform for artists to show their work. We will also visit institutions that house significant ancient artefacts giving context to Ireland’s current cultural landscape.
A sample of places we visit in Dublin:
- The Library Project
- Oonagh Young Gallery
- Irish Museum of Modern Art
- Hugh Lane Art Gallery
- Motherstank Station Gallery
- Temple Bar Gallery & Studios
- The Douglas Hyde Gallery
- The National Museum of Ireland
- Douglas Hyde Gallery in Trinity College
Sample studio visits with Irish Artists:
- Ann Maria Healey
- Sarah Tynan
- Paul Gaffney
During this extended trip to the west of Ireland, we will focus on the landscape and how it has shaped and been shaped by the Irish people over thousands of years. We will visit ancient Celtic monuments built over 3000 years ago, early Christian sites, and soak up the natural beauty from the bogs to beaches and soaring cliffs.
A sample of places we visit in The West:
- The Burren: unique natural limestone landscape dotted with many ancient Celtic structures
- Cliffs of Moher: one of Ireland’s most famous spots of natural beauty
- Aran Islands: ride bikes across the big island (Inis Mor) which is 6 miles long
- Dun Aonghus: an ancient stone ring fort on the top of a cliff
- Cape Clear Island: an island with a population of 100 people, where we kayak and hike to see stunning views.
- Three Castle Head: we hike to Ireland’s most southerly point to see magical Dunlough Castle.
Local Day Trips
During our local day trips, we will visit art spaces in neighbouring regions, showing diverse and resourceful responses to the challenges of establishing and maintaining an art space. There will also be time for a spot of shopping.
A sample of places we visit locally:
- Wexford Arts Centre, Wexford
- Blue Egg Gallery, Wexford
- Workhouse Union, Callan
- Fennellys, Callan
- Grennan Mill Craft School, Thomastown
- Carlow Visual, Carlow
- Butler Gallery, Kilkenny
- Tintern Abbey, Wexford
- Clonegal Castle, Carlow
- Cushendale Mills, Graiguenamanagh