Associate Artist Position
Associate Artist Position
Cow House Studios, Wexford, Ireland seeks four associate artists to assist in delivering its educational and residency programming throughout the calendar year. The successful candidates must be gifted, exhibiting artists, capable of and eager to teach young and aspirational students. Associate artists will develop challenging and innovative lesson plans alongside Co-Directors Rosie O’Gorman and Frank Abruzzese and play a key role in mentoring young adults while encouraging artistic excellence. Additionally, associate artists will have the opportunity to avail of residency opportunities at Cow House Studios throughout the year and assist in the development and delivery of new residency and educational opportunities.
This is a flexible, part-time opportunity designed to supplement the activity of a full-time working professional artist. With this in mind, Cow House Studios’ aim is to support our associate artists by providing compensation for days worked through the year, professional development opportunities, time and space to make new work, a platform to gain valuable experience teaching as well as networking opportunities with our global community of previous and forthcoming artists and curators. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a small, dynamic and independent art studio focused on delivering programming of the highest quality for emerging and mid-career artists.
- Commit to teaching full time for one session of our summer program Art on the Farm each year. Each session is 25 days, where 18 days will be spent working in the studio with our students.
- Reside at Cow House Studios for the 25-day duration of Art on the Farm, including night time supervision of our students.
- Throughout the year, Cow House Studios run residencies and educational programming for schools, artist-led groups and other institutions. Associate artists may be called upon to avail of additional working days by providing artist talks or facilitating workshops. Associate artists may also provide consultation days for assisting with new programming or curricular development.
- Compensation for teaching will be €125 daily. For one session of Art on the Farm, there will be a total of 18 working days equaling a total compensation of €2250. For all additional artist talks, workshops and consulting days provided throughout the year, compensation will be €125 daily.
- Room & board will be provided anytime our associate artists reside at Cow House Studios.
- Cow House Studios will provide a complimentary one-week residency annually for all of our associate artists. This residency will be scheduled during our Open Residency Program.
- Costs associated with travelling to Cow House Studios will be compensated through a reimbursement on mileage, bus or train fare. Please note travel compensation pertains to costs incurred within Ireland.
The successful candidate will possess at least a bachelor’s degree in studio art, other relevant field or research area, however, a master’s degree is preferred. Additionally, candidates must be practising visual artists exhibiting work regularly in Ireland and/or abroad, eager to work with students, teaching and mentoring their development as artists and young adults. While previous teaching experience will be viewed favourably, it is not a necessary requirement for the associate artists opportunity.
Two of the four successful candidates must demonstrate exceptional proficiency in new media technologies. This may include an in-depth knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, video, sound and/or music production, 3D printing technologies, interactive media or web development. The remaining two candidates may work in any media including painting, photography, sculpture and mixed media.
The candidates will have demonstrated excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to implement the use of new communication technologies. They will have an international perspective with a contemporary art speciality. It is crucial that prospective candidates have excellent interpersonal skills and a willingness to work with others in an active studio environment. It is not necessary that candidates reside in Ireland full-time, but must be legally eligible to work within the EU. Cow House Studios will not assist in obtaining working visas for prospective candidates.
The application process is now closed. Thank you to those who have applied. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by Monday, March 20, 2017.
For any further questions about the associate artist position and the timeline of the search, please contact Frank Abruzzese, Co-Director, Cow House Studios.